Thursday, November 24, 2016

Module one, Health and Safety conerns

https://prochemicalanddye.net/downloads/dl/file/id/7/product/238/studio_safety_guidelines.pdf

I printed out the above safety instructions years ago.  When I would teach dying, I always gave students a link to the print out as well as having a hard copy with me.  With this course I reviewed the information.  One I no longer found the information quickly n dharma trading website (my source for dyes), but Pro Chem has it and it is Great!  I have also now saved it to my cloud account so it is easier to reference when I need it.

Cutting and using rotary cutter. Be mindful when walking with sharp objects- in the middle of the design process my mind is in the clouds and I am not paying attention to where I am walking!  Seems simple, but a real issue with me!

When using a rotary cutter, always lock the blade before putting it down.  Also, don't lay it down on the cutting board but have a container to hold this type of tools, off the cutting area where it can be covered up quickly.

Using dyes, follow precautions listed on link above.  Dyes are safe if you follow basic instructions.
1.  Wear a mask when mixing dyes in powder form
2.  Mix powder into liquid ti minimizes letting powder become air born.
3.  I mix my dyes into concentrate with just the dye and water, I then store these in an extra refrigerator. I wouldn't do this if I had small children.  These are also in a set of containers that are different from any I use for food.  They are then placed in a larger plastic show box which is placed in the refrigerator. Both the individual bottles and the shoe box all having warning labels  in large black letters.

Burning fabric
1.  Using a heat gun - Do it outside and still wear a mask!  The fumes will make you and family members sick if they inhales it.  Also always have some water available; it doesn't have to be a hose, but a bucket of water.  If you like to push things just to see what happens eventually something will catch fire!  Always try to hold the piece with tongs or tweezers (sometimes I have used a stick), try and work on a glass or metal surface which can't catch fire.
2.  Test small piece first.  Polyester is my favorite to use as Kunin felt melts beautifully, but I have thought a piece was synthetic but it wasn't and it caught fire!  Unless you are 100percent sure, be careful.
Remember the heat gun nozzle gets very hot, be careful where you but it down.

Using the soldering iron
1. Use the same precautions as the heat gun.

Try and use a large box as a spray booth.  Take a large box and cut out one of the la get sides and part of the top.  It is just a great thing to have ready for when you need it.  It isn't a salfety concern as much as a clean up thing.  I also cover the bottom with a piece od n newsprint.  It can be stored and used for future projects.

No comments: