My sister started beading this year and loves it. She came up to the mountains with me in October and we had a beading marathon. One of the things we did was each buy the same kit and make it. We decided on this one from Melanie Potter called Marsha.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Monday, December 26, 2011
I am trying to create multiple sample pieces that explore a single stitch. This one only uses crouching, during the coming year I hope to do a few a month. Sharon boggin's Take a Stitch Tuesday's is a great source for inspiration. Many of the threads used in this piece were hand dyed in New Mexico.
Saturday, December 24, 2011
This is phase one of the Japanese bead embroidery. It turns in to glass case. The piece is pretty basic, but turns out nice. The point is to learn the structure of Jen and how it differs from other forms of bead embroidery.
I haven't posted in almost a year. I mentioned to someone at work that I had a blog, so I decided that I had better get back to it. I am going to try and post some of the work from the last year. This is my phase three certification project for Japanese Bead embroidery. I plan on staring on phase four in January. This pieces had tons of couched lines (which needed to be straight), but the really fun part of this was the three dimensional aspect of the poppies.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Layer one: sheer machine stitched down
OKAY! I really tried to go complex on this one! I used kunin felt as the base with another layer of kunin felt pressed together using an embellisher. I then "created" a square of fabric with ribbon yarn using water soluble and machine stitching. This was then treated as a layer which is machine stitched down. The yellow layer is then padded with batting. The yellow felt triangles where added last.
I really wanted to start simple with this chapter's assignments. My base layer is only machine stitching. I bourt a new computerized machine the year before and really haven't used the some of the special stitches "muscle" yet. I programmed a stitch size that I thought would be appropriate for the size and density. For the top layer, I purposely choose a computerized stitch what would work with instead of fight the satin fabric's tendency to fray.
I really wanted to add a fourth layer to one of these samples; however, when it came time to add a top layer, I decided against it.