These are my exercises to develop my resolved piece. First, I brainstormed ideas of the growth and distintegration of stars in my sketchbook (image one). I also searched new sources of star images. I went through my garden which was full of spring flowers as well as the internet for images to use for inspiration. I decided to focus on not only traditional stars, but also starfish and star shaped flowers.
I then started working on paper designs.
In image 11.1, I used construction paper and a commercial punch and then tried to distress the form. I really didn’t like this as I didn’t feel that it was my design. In image 11.2, I used various ways to distress the paper. My favorites were “wrinkled and sanded” as it had the most texture and cut apart because of the rhythm that can be achieved. In image 11.3, machine stitching was used and then the paper was wet and rubbed and scratched to make holes. To translate this to fabric, I thought of using water soluble, burn away with kunin felt or synthetic organza, or maybe plastic trash bags.
In images 11.6 and 11.7, additional ideas were tried. It was too haphazard for me.
Next I went back to some of my earlier paper designs that I liked and started working with them.
In image 11.8, I started seeing real potential. I like seeing the design change. In the paper exercises, I had really focused on disintegration, but now I began to see growth in the design as well. In image 11.9, I continued with the idea of the design breaking into pieces. I think this one has the strongest use of negative space.
In image 11.10, it helped me focus more on negative space.